All the members of the Governing Board are elected for a four year term by the General Assembly, with the exception of the Government Nominated Member – who is assigned by the Ministry of Health.
Governing Board consists of twelve (12) members which consists of ten (10) elected members, One (1) Government Nominated Member and One (1) Ex Officio Member. They are;
- The President;
- The First Vice-President;
- The Second Vice-President;
- The Treasurer;
- Government Nominated Member (non-elected member nominated by the Government Nominated Ministry on behalf of the Government of the Maldives.);
- Governing Board Member - Youth – Shall be an ex-officio position by virtue of being the Chair of National Youth Council
- Governing Board Member – Inclusivity - Seat allocated for inclusion of the marginalized and minority groups within the community – including persons with disabilities, migrants and others as specified in the Rules of Procedure.
- Governing Board Member – North Region – 2 Members
- Governing Board Member – South Region – 2 Members
- Governing Board Member – Male’ Region
One member out of the two Vice Presidents, two North Region Members and two South Region Members, should be a woman.
Posts of the Maldivian Red Crescent's Governing Board can only be held by individuals aged twenty one (21) years and above except the Chair of National Youth Council who must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and must not have reached the age of twenty five (25) years at the time of election. The Secretary General attends meetings of the Governing Board in an ex officio capacity with no voting rights.
Responsibilities of the Governing Board
- Approval of the Maldivian Red Crescent's Annual Report, financial accounts and Audit Reports, communicating these documents to stakeholders and concerned parties within 30 days from holding the General Assembly.
- Approval of the forthcoming fiscal year’s budget statement before the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Recruiting and dismissing the Secretary General for the operation of the Maldivian Red Crescent.
- Approving formation, restructuring and dissolution of units as per these Statutes in the interest of fulfilling the Maldivian Red Crescent’s goals and objectives.
- Setting up the committees or commissions which it deems desirable or necessary for carrying out these tasks.
- Assessing and documenting the various activities and meetings conducted by the various committees or commissions,
- Being informed by the Units of the Maldivian Red Crescent of their activities through submission of the Units’ Annual Reports.
- Publishing the agendas for public and special or purpose-specific meetings, including Ordinary and Extraordinary General Assemblies.
- Determining the order of the discussions in the agenda for the General Assembly.
- Finalize, approve and ensure that the Rules of Procedure of the Maldivian Red Crescent is in place and in order.
- Ensuring adequate policies are in place for sustainable, cost effective, legal, and ethical organizational performance and actions.
- Monitoring organizational performance to ensure progress on strategic goals and compliance with policies and practices.